Skip to main content

Faith Story: “You Never Know the Day nor the Hour”

Keep awake therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour. (Matthew 25:13)

photo from Richardson-Curry family
By Wanda Richardson-Curry

March 18, 2021 -  Eleven years ago today, my heart was broken when earth’s loss became heaven’s gain and my Daddy took his final breath. I was totally blindsided by his sudden departure as he was actually supposed to be coming to my house later that day for a cookout. So to get a call to come to the care home as quickly as we could, really confused me? 

After racing across town and arriving to find paramedics working on him, I was angry and couldn’t understand why God would put me through such an ordeal. The youngest of 3 children and the Baby Girl, why me? It took many years for me to realize what a Blessing it had been to be right by his side when he transitioned into glory, singing to him, and thanking him through my tears for the countless sacrifices he made throughout his life for my siblings, our mother, and me.


It was shortly thereafter that I came to the realization that sometimes in life we have to lose something, in order to find something, sadly it took for me to lose my Earthly Father in order for me to find my Heavenly Father. 


Daddy I just wish you were still here, to witness how God is working in our lives, although I am certainly still a work in progress. I love you Daddy and I miss you so much. I wish you were here to see all of your grandchildren and great grandchildren and the legacy you have left behind. I hope you’re looking down realizing that I was actually listening even when you thought I wasn’t, and that I’m trying my best to apply the things you taught me.

Please treasure your loved ones as you never know the day nor the hour, when God will come and take one of His chosen ones home.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome peace in new Meditation Room

Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted. - Matthew 5:4 By Nancy Meisel Youngman Would you like a safe place to pause, reflect, grieve, meditate, pray?  A space has been created for that purpose.  Our Epworth nursery has been cleaned, recarpeted, and transformed into a meditation room. Although we may well have need for a nursery in the future, we are using this space as a quiet meditation room for now. We have also started a grief support library. The books are available to read or browse through while in this quiet space. There will be prayer request cards in the room if you choose to fill one out. Our hope is that this space will help you feel surrounded by God’s love and God’s peace which passes all understanding.

Epworth Devotional 2021

Responses to Hope in the Wilderness   This year’s devotional,  Hope in the Wilderness,  was put together with input from members of the congregation. Some submitted photos, pictures they drew, coloring pages, essays and poetry they or someone else wrote, and quotes. Then everyone was invited to join in conversations with friends and family or on Facebook.  Below are some of the responses received on Epworth Facebook pages. Responses were sparse and far apart timewise. Clearly we missed the fellowship of in-person Lenten Study.   February 19 I decided to color today’s Lenten Devotion. I was praying for people I’ve had the privilege to teach, coach, and train. I recognized the things I learned from those same folks. Who are you nourishing? Or what are you nourishing that will grow and bloom?   March 5 Today’s entry has me meditating on change, constancy, time, and perspective. What does this devotion raise in you? My earliest childhood memories include our garden roses and the song of th

Toy Library transitions to Weed & Water Wednesdays

By Nan Rice The Toy Library at Epworth is starting to be a place where we start the Epworth Garden. The families that came in the last week of March planted marigolds, sunflowers, and tomatoes to take home. Plants for the garden will go under the grow lights for the next two months and then outside.  In the meantime, we will continue the Toy Library until June 3. Look for notices to come out about Weed and Water Wednesdays which will start June 9. Will we be able to meet in the church yard with masks and distancing? We still need to figure out the details.