Skip to main content

Faith Story: Faith Like a River


By Shirley Durr 


In Epworth’s 2021 Lenten Devotional, Hope in the Wilderness, the entry for February 25 was 
from “Along the Way: Fluid Formation” in Steve Harper’s blog Oboedire wherein the author compares faith to rivers that “meander” and “have seasonal cycles.” One of the questions after this entry asks, “Does your faith go in cycles – sometimes full and well nourished, sometimes too much to keep in, sometimes low or even empty? Where do you find meaning when your faith is running on empty?” This is how I answered.

 

I try to let my faith flow and meander, fluidly faithful, you might say. I’ve never thought the purpose of my faith or my life was to get to heaven, for example. Rather, I think my purpose, my goal in this life I have been given, is to help as much as I can to build God’s kin-dom – which some call heaven but I call the Beloved Community– here on earth.

 

Although I’m Methodist to the core, I’ve never wanted to contain my faith in one wineskin. My Methodism allows me to walk my own journey, not requiring that I stay on a prescribed path, not damning me for straying, and always assuring me of God’s grace. Nor do I rush to judge how others travel their faith journeys. As the quote for February 26 says, “Yours are the only shoes made to walk your journey” (Dr. Charles F. Glassman).

 

Looking back, I realize there have been many cycles in my faith – balanced and nourished, but also so overflowing I can't hold it in, and even at times empty to the precipice of despair. I might teeter there awhile but not surrender.

 

When I’m running on empty, I escape into song. I have a song list that puts me in a place where I can feel grace covering me and keeping from sinking into despair. 

 

Below are some of the titles on that list (in alphabetical order by title). Maybe one or two can uplift or sustain you. 

 

For the most part, they’re not songs you’ll find in church hymnals but they all speak faith and the meaning and purpose of life to me. The way I see it, you can’t contain church in a book nor a building.



No storm can shake my inmost calm 

While to that rock I'm clinging.

Since love is lord of heaven and earth, 

How can I keep from singing?


“My Life Flows On” by Augustus Montague Toplady

The Faith We Sing #2212


 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome peace in new Meditation Room

Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted. - Matthew 5:4 By Nancy Meisel Youngman Would you like a safe place to pause, reflect, grieve, meditate, pray?  A space has been created for that purpose.  Our Epworth nursery has been cleaned, recarpeted, and transformed into a meditation room. Although we may well have need for a nursery in the future, we are using this space as a quiet meditation room for now. We have also started a grief support library. The books are available to read or browse through while in this quiet space. There will be prayer request cards in the room if you choose to fill one out. Our hope is that this space will help you feel surrounded by God’s love and God’s peace which passes all understanding.

Epworth Devotional 2021

Responses to Hope in the Wilderness   This year’s devotional,  Hope in the Wilderness,  was put together with input from members of the congregation. Some submitted photos, pictures they drew, coloring pages, essays and poetry they or someone else wrote, and quotes. Then everyone was invited to join in conversations with friends and family or on Facebook.  Below are some of the responses received on Epworth Facebook pages. Responses were sparse and far apart timewise. Clearly we missed the fellowship of in-person Lenten Study.   February 19 I decided to color today’s Lenten Devotion. I was praying for people I’ve had the privilege to teach, coach, and train. I recognized the things I learned from those same folks. Who are you nourishing? Or what are you nourishing that will grow and bloom?   March 5 Today’s entry has me meditating on change, constancy, time, and perspective. What does this devotion raise in you? My earliest childhood memories include our garden roses and the song of th

Toy Library transitions to Weed & Water Wednesdays

By Nan Rice The Toy Library at Epworth is starting to be a place where we start the Epworth Garden. The families that came in the last week of March planted marigolds, sunflowers, and tomatoes to take home. Plants for the garden will go under the grow lights for the next two months and then outside.  In the meantime, we will continue the Toy Library until June 3. Look for notices to come out about Weed and Water Wednesdays which will start June 9. Will we be able to meet in the church yard with masks and distancing? We still need to figure out the details.